Gunner get's his 200th Coyote!!

Cliff, you scare me...alot! Please don't ever show that picture again.
smile.gif
smile.gif

I believe the proper name is scaled quail, but everyone here calls them "blues". All I know, is they sure taste good. Gunner actually caught 3 of the quail that were hit but, not dead yet. I'm not much of a bird hunter and don't expect much of him with feathers.

I just got back from night calling with the neighbor. Gunner added 1 more coyote under his belt. A big male that came in under the moonlight and fog, no lights. I dropped him at about 60 yards. I need to reboot my computer for the card reader to work from the camera. I'll do it tomorrow and post the pic of this frosty male.

Thanks...Tony

Last edited:
Congrats to you and gunner Tony.. Gunner couldn't have hit that 200 mark without a super caller getting them in!! Great pics bud and again congrats.. See ya in a week.. Kerry

Foggy and breezy, we went out and made 3 or 4 blank stands. I decided that we weren't going to make another stand, until we cut coyote tracks. We drove around on the ranch roads to an area that I had spotted a 7 coyote group with the dogs, last week.

We started cutting a track here and there, then finally ran into this...tracks galore.

snowyotetracks1.jpg

We parked the vehicle, walked to an open area where a grassfire had burned through, last year, for the best visibility, as we had no lights and the fog made it pretty intense to see.

Ten minutes into the stand, my partner starts lip squeaking to get my attention. I look over and barely see a coyote out about 75 yards or so. It amazes me how well a rifle scope picks up light, as it all fabricated, when I looked through the scope. He's standing broadside, but by the time I get the crosshairs on him, he's trotting in toward our scent cone. No time to get Gunner to see him...he had to die now! A quick bark, he stops and I send a 60gr Vmax through his chest. Gunner throws snow like a rooster tail to him and roughs him up a bit. I keep calling.

A nice male, well furred up.

snownightyote1.jpg

Made a few more stands, but the wind started kicking up. We ended up driving around the ranch, checking the coyote population via tracks, as the snow is going to be melted off today.

When we got home, we found that our coyote had transformed into "Frosty the Coyote!"
smile.gif

frostyyote1.jpg

Thanks for the fine comments on Gunner. I'm proud of him.

Tony

Tony, you make it look so easy. I know that its a culmination of many years of hard work. Your an inspiration to me.

Bob

Shucks! I'm just a redneck that is ate up with predator hunting. Nothing more, nothing less.

Nothing inspirational about sounding like a rabbit being castrated alive.
smile.gif

Thanks man.

Tony

Dang Tony, It looks cold where you are. Nice job on the coyotes. It looks like the dogs are working out nicely...very cool. Congrats.

Originally Posted By: bushpilotmexicoHey Tony,

Awesome man....where were you hiding the dogs last February?

Remind me not to wear my wolf hat when I visit you next time in case you let the dogs loose!

Cliff

DSCN35640.jpg

No blue gloves!
smile.gif

Quote:I believe Gunner will hit the 300 mark this season. We've got alot more calling to do this winter.

03172010yotes.jpg

Well, I was right. Yesterday, Gunner got his 294th coyote. Only six more and he'll hit his 300 mark!

Hopefully we'll hit that this weekend. Heading out in the morning to hunt cats for 3 days, then back for coyotes for 5 days.

dixiebobtail1.jpg

I've been taking Dixie on stands with clients, as well. She's really doing well and learning alot from Gunner. I have a feeling she'll be a rockstar in no time.

Tony

Back